In July 2016, we published the multispecialty community provider (MCP) emerging care model and contract framework. As well as describing the MCP care model in more detail, it introduced the MCP Contract and business model that underpins it. An initial draft version of the MCP Contract was published in December 2016 for a period of public engagement and informal feedback.
Following this feedback, the Accountable Care Organisation (ACO) Contract and supporting documents have now been revised for use by local commissioners to inform the early stages of their procurement processes. Importantly, the Contract can now be used for accountable care models generally, including MCP and integrated primary and acute care system (PACS) models.
The ACO Contract has been produced following intensive joint work with a number of vanguards with whom we are co-developing the approach to ensure that the Contract is able to help facilitate local plans.
We will be working with commissioners in the most advanced areas to test the revised Contract and to improve it further and plan to release an updated version for formal consultation in 2018.
This contract package is no longer current. We will be releasing a new draft of the ACO Contract and supporting documentation alongside the forthcoming public consultation.
The consultation on the draft ACO Contract will be launched following the two current Judicial Reviews, so as to allow the NHS to take account of the outcome of both processes.
The ACO Contract and supporting documents are available below:
- Integrating care: contracting for accountable models
- Accountable Care Organisation (ACO) Contract
- Explanatory notes to the Contract
- Summary of engagement feedback
- Template Integration Agreement – overview
- Template Integration Agreement for partially integrated ACOs
- Procurement and assurance approach
- GP participation in an MCP
- ACOs and the NHS commissioning system
- Finance and payment approach for ACOs
- Whole population models of provision: Establishing integrated budgets
- Incentives framework for ACOs
- Accountable models and NHS Pensions
- Contract package Questions and Answers
In addition to the supporting documents to the Contract outlined above NHS England has also published the following documents for use with the ‘virtual model’:
GP participation in a multispecialty community provider (MCP)
The new business models team have produced a series of videos which seek to portray what it’s like to be a GP in a MCP and to support GPs to learn more about MCPs.