2023/24 priorities and operational planning guidance
The 2023/24 priorities and operational planning guidance reconfirms the ongoing need to recover our core services and improve productivity, making progress in delivering the key NHS Long Term Plan ambitions and continuing to transform the NHS for the future.
2023/24 priorities and operational planning guidance
Elective recovery fund technical guidance
Revenue finance and contracting guidance for 2023/24
NHS financial framework: Integrated care board and system finance business rules
Capital guidance for 2023-24
Guidance on developing the joint forward plan
The guidance on developing the joint forward plan supports integrated care boards, their partner NHS trusts and foundation trusts to develop their first five-year joint forward plans with system partners.
Other useful links
- NHS Standard Contract consultation
- NHS Payment Scheme consultation
- Allocation of resources 2023/24 to 2024/25
Previous planning guidance
2022/23 priorities and operational planning guidance
- 2022/23 priorities and operational planning guidance
- 2022/23 revenue finance and contracting guidance
- 2022/23 capital guidance for 2022-25
- 2022/23 elective recovery planning supporting guidance
October 2021 – March 2022 (H2)
- 2021/22 priorities and operational planning guidance: October 2021- March 2022
- Guidance on finance and contracting arrangements for H2 2021/22
- Submission Guidance
- Activity, Performance and Workforce Technical definitions
Guidance published in March 2021
- 2021/22 priorities and operational planning guidance
- Implementation guidance
- Guidance on finance and contracting arrangements for H1 2021/22
Third phase of NHS response to COVID-19 (Published July 2020)
- Letters and guidance relating to the third phase of the NHS response to COVID-19.
- Implementing phase 3 of the NHS response to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Elective letter
- Nursing and midwifery response to the third phase of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Implementing phase 3 of the NHS response to the COVID-19 pandemic’).
- Activity, performance and workforce technical definitions.
- Contracts and payment guidance October 2020 – March 2021
- NHS People Plan
- NICE guidance on planned care
NHS Operational Planning and Contracting Guidance 2020/21 (suspended March 2020 in response to COVID-19 pandemic)
- NHS Operational Planning and Contracting Guidance 2020/21:
- Annex A: Introduction and Overview to Technical and Supporting Guidance
- Annex B: Guidance on the Production of System-Led Narrative Plan Submissions for 2020/21
- Annex C: Guidance for Financial Plans
- Annex C1: NHS England and NHS Improvement Guidance for Commissioner Finance Business Rules
- Annex C2: Financial Improvement Trajectories, Financial Recovery Fund and Marginal Rate Emergency Funding
- Annex D: NHS Standard Contract and Supporting Guidance
- Annex D1: Updating Non-Expiring Contracts for 2020/21 Guidance on the Process for Agreeing Variations and Resolving Disputes
- Annex D2: Joint Contract Dispute Resolution for 2020/21
- Annex E: Technical Guidance – People Planning 2020/21
- Annex F: Activity and Performance Operational Planning Submission Guidance
- Annex F1: Activity and Performance Technical Definitions
- Annex G: Planning Guidance for NHS Led Provider Collaboratives
NHS Operational Planning and Contracting Guidance 2019/20
NHS Operational Planning and Contracting 2019/20: annexes
- Technical and supporting guidance: NHS Operational Planning and Contracting Guidance 2019/20– this technical planning guidance has been produced to support the submission of templates to ensure plans are completed on a consistent basis and to a high standard.
- Annex A: 2019/20 planning prices – an explanatory note– contains draft National Tariff Payment System prices to support planning for 2019/20.
- Annex B: Guidance for operational and activity plans: assurance statements– this document sets out assurance statement deliverables for 2019/20, for which regions are asked to provide assurance that delivery plans are being put in place.
- Annex C: NHS Improvement guidance to trusts for operational plans– the technical guidance for NHS planning for trusts for 2019/20 operational plans.
- Annex D: NHS England Guidance for Finance Business Rules– contains guidance and advice on some of the issues that commissioners should consider when setting their 2019/20 operational finance plan.
- Annex E: Integration of specialised services with local health and care systems– provides detail on how specialised services will be planned in collaboration with local systems to ensure more joined-up care for patients.
- Annex F: Joint Technical Definitions for Performance and Activity 2019/20– contains the technical definitions for measures included in the operational plans collected from providers and commissioners. This is version 2 of the document, which incorporates a new indicator in the provider template, as well as some other slight amendments to the original version. The document contains an errata which describes these changes.
- Annex H: CQUIN-These documents provide the guidance for the Commissioning for Quality and Innovation (CQUIN) scheme for 2019/20.
- Annex J1: Joint Contract Dispute Resolution Process for new contracts for 2019/20
- Annex J2: Updating non-expiring contracts for 2019/20 – Guidance on the process for agreeing Variations and resolving disputes
NHS Standard Contract – The NHS Standard Contract is mandated by NHS England for use by commissioners for all contracts for healthcare services other than primary care. The Contract (in full-length and shorter-form versions) has now been updated for 2019/20.
Section 3 of the Operational Planning Guidance included work on the Evidence Based Interventions Programme which CCGs are required to implement. Further information is available in the Evidence-Based Interventions: Response to the public consultation and next steps document.
Section 3.6 refers to the independent review of the CCG’s achievement of the Mental Health Investment Standard. The document “Assurance Engagement of the Mental Health Investment Standard – briefing for Clinical Commissioning Groups” gives further information. See also the frequently asked questions for independent review of Mental Health Investment Standard (MHIS) for 19/20.
Refreshing NHS Plans for 2018/19
- Refreshing NHS Plans for 2018/19– this is an updated version of the document published on 2 February 2018 which now incorporates two minor changes. These changes are detailed in Corrections to Refreshing NHS Plans for 2018/19
Technical Guidance for Refreshing NHS Plans for 2018/19
Operational Planning and Contracting Guidance for 2017-2019
NHS Shared Planning Guidance 2016/17-2020/21
NHS Shared Planning Guidance 2015/16
NHS Shared Planning Guidance 2014/15-2018/19
Guidance on the cash and capital regime for 2020/21