Sets out how providers should carry out developmental reviews of their leadership and governance using the well-led framework.
- Developmental reviews of leadership and governance using the well-led framework: guidance for NHS trusts and NHS foundation trusts – This document explains how providers should undertake reviews of leadership and governance as part of their ongoing development.
- Well-led framework supplementary guide – This guide gives practical advice that will help providers get the most from their reviews and explains how peer reviewers can be involved.
- Learning from developmental reviews of leadership and governance using the well-led framework – Information for chief executives and senior managers based on feedback from consultants in the first year of carrying out developmental reviews using the well-led framework.
Are services well-led?
As part of our commitment to simplifying our regulatory approaches, we’ve worked closely with the Care Quality Commission (CQC) to bring together our respective approaches resulting in a fully joint well-led framework structured around eight key lines of enquiry.
We strongly encourage providers to use the new framework to undertake developmental reviews as part of their own continuous improvement.
The new framework maintains focus on strong integrated governance and leadership across quality, finance and operations, and in line with the changing operating environment and Developing People – Improving Care, increases emphasis on organisational culture, improvement and system working.
Our new guidance sets out how providers should carry out developmental reviews of their leadership and governance using the framework as part of their own continuous improvement. It includes information about carrying out self-reviews and commissioning external suppliers to facilitate reviews.
We encourage providers to consider involving peer reviewers as part of their external facilitation team where appropriate to make use of and enhance skills and experience across the NHS.
CQC assessments and the well-led framework
CQC uses the well-led framework to structure their assessments of the well-led question as part their next phase of regulation.
- Self-review template (Word) – An editable template for completing self-reviews.
- Self-review template (Excel) – An editable template for completing self-reviews.
- Well-led framework information for peer reviewers – This short guide provides information for peer reviewers thinking about participating in developmental reviews.