Locum agencies on the national Government Procurement Service (Buying Solutions) framework known as GPS are identified as designated bodies under The Medical Profession (Responsible Officers) (Amendment) Regulations 2013). These agencies will need to appoint a responsible officer and comply with the statutory obligations and provisions of the regulations.
The briefing for locum agencies explains:
- which agencies are ‘designated bodies’ and what this means
- which doctors an agency is responsible for
- what locum agencies should be doing now.
Guidance supporting organisations engaging with locums and doctors in short-term placements
- Advice and guidance supporting organisations engaging with locums and doctors in short-term placements.
The GMC has produced a number of case studies highlighting how locum agencies and other organisations are supporting locum doctors with revalidation:
- Case study 6 – Locum agency: DRC Locums
- Case study 7 – Locum agency: Medacs Healthcare
- Case study 9 – Locum support network: North East Employed & Locum GPs (England)
- Case study 10 – Locum support network: Pallant Medical Chambers (England)