Genomic testing in the NHS is being provided through a national testing network, consolidating and enhancing the existing NHS laboratory provision. This will create a world class genomic testing resource for the NHS and underpin the NHS Genomic Medicine Service and deliver on our commitments as part of the NHS Long Term Plan.
Clinical genomics services
Clinical genomics (previously called clinical genetics) are services where doctors (typically clinical geneticists) and genetic counsellors work with other health professionals to diagnose genetic conditions. They also assess the risk a patient will inherit or develop a genetic condition. They provide and co-ordinate treatment for patients with genetic conditions, and counselling and emotional support to patients and their families. NHS England is committed to working with a wide range of patients, patient groups and other stakeholders in the development of its commissioning of services.
The national genomic testing service is delivered through a network of seven genomic laboratory hubs, each responsible for coordinating services for a particular part of the country.
The seven genomic laboratory hubs are:
- Central and South Genomic Laboratory Hub led by Birmingham Women’s and Children NHS Foundation Trust
- East Genomic Laboratory Hub led by Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- North West Genomic Laboratory Hub led by Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust
- North Thames Genomic Laboratory Hub led by Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Foundation Trust
- South East Genomic Laboratory Hub led by Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust
- South West Genomic Laboratory Hub led by North Bristol NHS Trust
- North East and Yorkshire Genomic Laboratory Hub led by The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
These are supported by seven NHS genomic medicine service alliances that operate in similar geographies. They play a lead role in embedding genomics in routine care in their regions through workforce development, transformation projects and education and training.