London NHS 111 Integrated Urgent Care, resident registered GP and GP Out of Hours Influenza Outbreak Response
This set of guidance outlines the key roles and responsibilities for stakeholders who are required to work together in a coordinated response to a suspected or confirmed influenza outbreak within a care home.
Following these steps will have a significant impact on helping to reduce the number of avoidable calls to 999. It will avoid unnecessary admissions of vulnerable residents in to hospital by effectively supporting care home staff with management of an outbreak. This will enable timely and appropriate care to be given to their residents within their own home.
The standard operating procedure and accompanying appendices can be downloaded below:
- London NHS 111 IUC and GPOOH Influenza outbreak Response SOP V4_OCTOBER 2019
- Appendix 3 – Winter readiness information for London care homes 2019-20_-Public Health England
- Appendix 5 – Template for recording patient information
- Appendix 6 – CQC key lines of enquiry_prompts and ratings characteristics for ASCSs
- Appendix 7 – NHSI Infection & Control Team – Influenza Guidance for Care Homes
- Appendix 8 – CarePulse registration access to resource centre
- Appendix 9 – Local Surge Team contact details
- Appendix 10 – Immediate actions to take if a flu outbreak occurs_ for Care Homes Jan19
- London Region to CCG letter – Arrangements for antivirals for flu outbreaks in London 20190509