Updates on the development of the NHS payment system, including news on payment systems in development, the current national tariff payment system and supporting information, and access to past tariffs.
Publication of the 2021/22 national tariff
The 2021/22 National Tariff Payment System is now published and came into effect from 1 October 2021.
We ran a series of engagement workshops from 6-24 September 2021. These covered the broader financial framework and contracting, as well as tariff and payment arrangements that are being considered for 2022/23. As well as general workshops, there were also some focused on non-acute services. An online survey was also available until 1 October 2021.
The material covered in the workshops is also available in the following webinars and recorded sessions:
- Context for NHS finances and payment for 2022/23 – including discussion of ICSs, financial framework and development of blended payment (slides)
- Blended payment for 2022/23 – discusses the aligned payment and incentive blended payment being considered for 2022/23 (slides)
- Tariff and payment adjustments, 2022/23 – including discussion of high cost exclusions and market forces factor (slides)
- Setting tariff prices for 2022/23 – including discussion of setting prices based on PLICS rather than reference costs (slides)
- Considerations for mental health, community and non-acute – discussing what the payment system proposals might mean for non-acute services (slides)
Following the workshops, we held further events to discuss some policies in more detail:
- Innovation and the MedTech Funding Mandate (slides)
- Whole system payment – from place to board and for all sectors (slides)
- Products to support fixed payment (slides)
Sign up for national tariff updates
If you’d like to be notified when we publish new information on the national tariff, please sign up for our email updates.
- National tariff payment system 2020/21
- Information on local variations, local prices and local modifications
Within the National Tariff Payment System, some high cost drugs and devices are excluded from the calculation of unit prices and national prices. Funding for these items is then either included in a fixed payment or paid for in addition to the price for the related service. As medical practice changes and new drugs and devices are developed and adopted, the lists of high cost drugs and devices needs to be kept as current as practically possible.
To nominate a drug or device to be added or removed from the high cost lists, please complete the following form and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For nominations to be considered for the 2022/23 national tariff, please ensure the completed form is submitted by 30 September 2021. Any submissions received after that date may be considered for a future tariff.
The national tariff payment system replaced the previous Payment by Results system from 2014/15. You can download all formal documents and policies from each previous tariff year. All consultation and other supporting documents are also available, please contact email@example.com if you wish to access any of these.