Updates on the development of the NHS payment system, including news on payment systems in development, the current national tariff payment system and supporting information, and access to past tariffs.
Please note: Following the 2022 Health and Care Act, the National Tariff Payment System will be replaced by the NHS Payment Scheme. We are currently considering the results of the consultation on proposals for the first NHS Payment Scheme, which would come into effect from 1 April 2023.
The consultation on proposals for the 2023/25 NHS Payment Scheme closed on 27 January 2023.
We will consider the responses and announce the results of the consultation as soon as possible.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the consultation.
2023/24 Elective Recovery Fund
To help stakeholders understand how the ERF will operate for 2023/24, we are holding a webinar on 2 February, 2-3pm. Please book your place here. The webinar will discuss the ERF arrangements and allow time for a quesion and answer session.
Our Payment and costing support workspace on the FutureNHS collaboration platform contains materials, tools and products being developed to support people to implement the payment system, and take advantage of costing data.
Currently launched on the workspace include:
- ICS Cost Benchmarking Dashboard – a dashboard showing cost and activity data for a whole system, at an ICS level. It allows systems to identify service level spend and patient pathway patterns.
- Enhanced PLICS analysis – a dashboard showing costing benchmarks at ICS level, giving systems detailed analysis of their cost structures.
- Costed pathways (supported by GIRFT) – a methodology and worked example for systems to cost patient pathways, highlighting variation from clinical best practice guidelines in activity and costs.
We welcome your feedback on these products, and will continue to develop and update them based on the comments we receive.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
Sign up for national tariff updates
If you’d like to be notified when we publish new information on the national tariff, please sign up for our email updates.
- National tariff payment system 2022/23
- Information on local variations, local prices and local modifications
- Payment and the NHS Long Term Plan – the case for changing the payment system away from activity-based payment
Within the National Tariff Payment System, some high cost drugs and devices are excluded from the calculation of unit prices and national prices. Funding for these items is then either included in a fixed payment or paid for in addition to the price for the related service. As medical practice changes and new drugs and devices are developed and adopted, the lists of high cost drugs and devices needs to be kept as current as practically possible.
To nominate a drug or device to be added or removed from the high cost lists, please complete the following form and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for submitting forms to be considered for 2024/25 is 31 May 2023. We cannot guarantee we will be able to consider submissions received after this date. All submissions received before the deadline will be carefully reviewed and discussed with high cost steering groups.
The National Tariff Payment System replaced the Payment by Results system from 2014/15. You can download all formal documents and policies from each previous tariff year. All consultation and other supporting documents are also available, please contact email@example.com if you wish to access any of these.