Technical standards and guidance (health building notes/health technical memoranda documents)
The documents have moved and can be accessed from this section of our website.
Standard Department of Health and Social Care website protocol is to mark documents as ‘withdrawn’ as part of the redirect to our website. We are aware that this message on the gov.uk website is creating the impression that individual health building notes (HBN) and health technical memoranda (HTM) documents have been withdrawn. This is not the case – all the documents hosted on our website are current.
The status of a document can be checked on the complete list of publications related to NHS estates page of our website which includes details of any documents that have been updated/archived and the dates this took effect.
This series brings together all documents relating to Health technical memoranda.
Health Technical Memoranda (HTMs) give comprehensive advice and guidance on the design, installation and operation of specialised building and engineering technology used in the delivery of healthcare.
The focus of Health Technical Memorandum guidance remains on healthcare-specific elements of standards, policies and up-to-date established best practice. They are applicable to new and existing sites, and are for use at various stages during the whole building lifecycle.
Healthcare providers have a duty of care to ensure that appropriate governance arrangements are in place and are managed effectively. The Health Technical Memorandum series provides best practice engineering standards and policy to enable management of this duty of care.
The ProCure23 Framework is the recommended procurement method for publicly-funded capital projects over £1 million. The Principal Supply Chain Partners have developed a number of repeatable room arrangements for use in NHS Acute and Mental Health facilities, all of which are fully compliant with HBNs and HTMs.
- (HTM 00) Building engineering in the health sector – 1 April 2014: Guidance
- (HTM 02-01) NHS estates guidance for medical gas pipeline systems -1 May 2006: Guidance
- (HTM 03-01) Specialised ventilation for healthcare buildings – 22 June 2021: Guidance
- (HTM 04-01) Safe water in healthcare premises – 10 April 2017: Guidance
- (HTM 05-01) Managing healthcare fire safety – 24 April 2013: Guidance
- (HTM 05-02) Fire safety in the design of healthcare premises – 4 November 2015: Guidance
- (HTM 05-03) Fire safety in the NHS – Operational Provisions – 1 August 2008: Guidance
- (HTM 06-01) Electrical services supply and distribution – 11 April 2017: Guidance
- (HTM 06-02) Electrical safety guidance for low voltage systems – 1 October 2006: Guidance
- (HTM 06-03) Electrical safety guidance for high voltage systems in healthcare premises – 1 October 2006: Guidance
- (HTM 07-01) Management and disposal of healthcare waste – 20 March 2013: Guidance
- (HTM 07-02) Making energy work in healthcare – 25 March 2015: Guidance
- (HTM 07-03) NHS car parking management – 3 December 2015: Guidance
- (HTM 07-04) Water management and water efficiency – 20 March 2013: Guidance
- (HTM 07-07) Building planning and construction in the health sector – 20 March 2013: Guidance
- (HTM 08-01) Health sector buildings: acoustic design requirements – 19 March 2013: Guidance
- (HTM 08-02) Design and maintenance of lifts in the health sector – 3 June 2016: Guidance
- (HTM 08-03) Management of bedhead services in the health sector – 19 March 2013: Guidance
- (HTM 66) Design and fitting of cubical curtains in the health sector-1 January 2005: Guidance
- (HTM 67) Design of laboratories for health sector buildings – 1 January 2005: Guidance
- (HTM 01-01) Decontamination of surgical instruments – 8 July 2016: Guidance
- (HTM 01-04) Decontamination of linen for health and social care – 9 June 2016: Guidance
- (HTM 01-05) Decontamination in primary care dental practices – 26 March 2013: Guidance
- (HTM 01-06) Management and decontamination of flexible endoscopes – 30 June 2016: Guidance