So you’ve decided you want to get involved in the work of the NHS – but what next?
NHS England works with a large number of Patient and Public Voice (PPV) partners and people with lived experience. These are voluntary roles as part of a wide range of programmes and boards in NHS England. For people in ongoing PPV partner roles (level 3 and 4 roles as defined by our Patient and Public Voice (PPV) Partner Policy) we offer a range of training and resources
We have a range of resources that may be of use to support patient and public participation. Our page on case studies shows examples of a range of ways that patients and the public have worked in partnership with the NHS to bring about changes and improvements.
You can sign up to our newsletter ‘In Touch’ for updates about our work, including any new learning and development opportunities
We also have some information on how the NHS works.
We have a range of e-learning available to PPV Partners with level 3 or 4 roles with NHS England. It is also offered to people with similar roles providing strategic input into other parts of the NHS.
Our current e-learning modules include:
- Equality, diversity and human rights
- Information governance
- Safeguarding level 1
(These first three modules may be required of people taking up a level 4 PPV Partner role – this will be detailed in the induction information for the role.)
- Recognising and supporting carers
- Commissioning together
- Using social media to engage effectively with people and communities
- Getting to grips with data and information in the NHS
- Developing excellent relationships to maximise the impact of patient and public voice
- High impact communication skills for meetings
Duration: Modules take between 30 and 90 minutes to complete.
Please register your interest by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
PPV partner ‘drop in’
A monthly ‘drop in’ session for Patient and Public Voice partners who have questions about the help and support that is available to them. Come to this open session, hosted by the participation team, to have a chat with the team and network with other PPV partners. Sessions will be at 09:30 am on the last Tuesday of the month.
- Tuesday 25 July, 09:30 to 10:30 – register to attend
- Tuesday 29 August, 09:30 to 10:30 – register to attend
- Tuesday 26 September, 09:30 to 10:30 – register to attend
- Tuesday 31 October 2023, 09:30 to 10:30 – register to attend
- Tuesday 28 November 2023, 09:30 to 10:30 – register to attend
- Tuesday 19 December 2023, 09:30 to 10:30 – register to attend
Patient and Public Voice (PPV) Partners Influence, Impact and Induction training course
What is it?
The course will be three half days of interactive learning over Zoom, with a focus on welcoming people to their role of Patient and Public Voice (PPV) partner, how to influence change and how to develop skills and confidence to make the most of their PPV partner role.
Who is it for?
This course is for people who are involved with NHS England as a Patient and Public Voice (PPV) Partner in an expert advisor role.
|Exploring Patient and Public Voice in the integrated health and care system||By the end of this module participants will understand more about how health and care is organised in England, and where Patient and Public Voice partners can contribute to make a difference. (Where can you influence)|
|Patient and Public Voice Partner roles and responsibilities||By the end of this module participants will gain a clear and shared understanding of the role and key responsibilities of a Patient and Public Voice partner. (Why and What)|
|Partnership and influence||By the end of this module participants will have explored effective skills for influence and collaboration through partnership working. (How)|
How do I book onto a course?
You will need to attend all three modules of the course.
- Module 1 – Tuesday 12 September 2023 9:30am – 12:30pm
- Module 2 – Thursday 21 September 2023 9:30am – 12:30pm
- Module 3 – Thursday 28 September 2023 9:30am – 12:30pm
- Module 1 – Thursday 1 February 2024 9:30am – 12:30pm
- Module 2 – Tuesday 6 February 2024 9:30am – 12:30pm
- Module 3 – Wednesday 14 February 2024 9:30am – 12:30pm
If you have any questions about the course, email email@example.com