The NHS North West Professional Standards Team supports the statutory functions associated with professional standards including appraisal and revalidation of GPs (General Practice), Higher Level Responsible Officer, performer lists and professional performance of independent contractors in primary care.
In relation to the NHS Long-Term Plan the team specifically supports the development of the existing systems and processes particularly in relation to the Performers Lists processes:
- Support the aim of the long-term plan to maintain and improve quality of care in the out of hospital setting.
- Support improvement in patient care by facilitating closer working of primary care with other sectors, supported by the Performers Lists.
- Work to improve health and wellbeing support for performers in primary care (including GPs, dentists and optical performers).
- Work closely with integrated care systems and the Care Quality Commission (CQC) to address concerns about quality of care relating to individuals, practices, and primary care networks.
- NHS England is required to manage the Performers Lists.
- If there are any performance concerns against a practitioner on the list by the general public, other practitioners or CQC, it is NHS England’s statutory duty to investigate the concerns, to ensures patient safety.
- Investigating and responding to issues/ complaints raised by the public thus improving confidence in services provided by primary care practitioners.
- Appraisals are quality assured to give the Responsible Officer assurance that the appraisal discussions and outputs are robust and meet the GMC (General Medical Council) requirements for revalidation.
- Service development:
- Compassionate conversations within primary care
- List leavers conversations