Pharmacy Quality Payments Scheme: Data declaration infographic – April and November 2017 provides summary information on the number of contractors on who took part in the Community Pharmacy Quality Payments Scheme in 2017/8. It highlights the number of contractors who declared overall, and the numbers that declared that they met the individual gateway and quality criteria.
The Quality Payments Scheme is part of the Community Pharmacy Contractual Framework announced by the Department of Health in October 2016.
There are approximately 11,700 pharmacies in England. Since April 2017, over 90 per cent of pharmacies – 11,410 pharmacies – have taken part in this pharmacy quality scheme.
- March 2018: Pharmacy Quality Payments Scheme November declaration infographic
- March 2018: Pharmacy Quality Payments Scheme both 2017 declarations infographic
- March 2018: Pharmacy Quality Payments Scheme April – November 2017 data summary
N.B. These figures used in the presentation and infographic are based on the April and November declaration data collected by the NHS BSA for 11,410 pharmacies completing the declaration.
- October 2017: Pharmacy Quality Payments Scheme presentation
- October 2017: Pharmacy Quality Payments Scheme April declaration infographic
- October 2017: Press release – New guidance for community pharmacies claiming quality payments
The raw data of declaration responses made by each pharmacy can be found on the BSA website.
The scheme sets the community pharmacy sector development targets including:
- More effective treatment of asthma – referring asthma patients who have been dispensed too many short-acting reliever inhalers without any preventer inhaler for an asthma review.
- Better care for people with dementia – as part of the drive to ensure 80 per cent of all pharmacy staff working in patient-facing roles take part in the Alzheimer’s Society’s Dementia Friends scheme.
- Increased support for healthy living – so there is a Royal Society of Public Health trained health champion in every one of the 9,474 Level 1 Healthy Living Pharmacies across England.
Three guidance documents have been produced to support pharmacy contractors with the Quality Payments Scheme:
- The Pharmacy Quality Payments – Gateway Criteria Guidance, which was published in December 2016, outlined the first steps which community pharmacies across England needed to take to prepare for the new Quality Payments Scheme which runs from December 2016 to March 2018.
- The Pharmacy Quality Payments – Quality Criteria Guidance, which was published in February 2017, provided information to contractors on how to claim quality payments and demonstrate that they meet any of the eight quality payment criteria.
- The Pharmacy Quality Payments – Guidance for the November 2017 Declaration, which was published in October 2017, provided information to contractors on how to claim quality payments and demonstrate that they meet any of the eight quality payment criteria for the November declaration.