We recognise that there are a wide range of resources which describe compassionate and inclusive cultures across a range of sectors. However, it can be difficult with limited time available to find relevant resources for your needs. We’ve therefore collected a range of resources within these pages which we feel are a good place to start.
Compassionate and inclusive leadership by us as individuals
- Read: Prof. Michael West and The Kings Fund, ‘If it’s about NHS culture, it’s about leadership’: Writing for the King’s Fund, Prof. Michael West describes the impact of individual leaders on the culture of an organisation, and the early development of our Culture and Leadership Programme.
- Read: What are the characteristics of a compassionate leader?: This short course provides a brief synopsis of how to demonstrate compassionate leadership.
Compassionate and inclusive leadership within our teams
- Watch: The importance of teaming in health and care: Amy Edmondson and The King’s Fund: Harvard Professor and psychological safety expert Amy Edmondson shares her perspectives on how to create belonging in teams
- Watch: The importance of psychological safety: Amy Edmondson and The King’s Fund: In this piece for The King’s Fund, Harvard Professor and psychological safety expert Amy Edmondson explains what Psychological Safety is and the part it plays in delivering safe and effective care.
- Read: The King’s Fund ‘Five myths of compassionate leadership’: In this article, Prof. Michael West and Suzie Bailey outline 5 myths that must be addressed to ensure people see the value of compassionate leadership.
Compassionate and inclusive leadership for our organisations
- Read: Developing collective leadership for health care: Report about why we need more collective leadership in healthcare and how to change culture
- Watch: Three Ways to Create Psychological Safety in Health Care: Amy Edmondson and the Institute for Healthcare Improvement: Harvard Professor and psychological safety expert Amy Edmondson explains three ways to create psychological safety in health care in this piece for the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI)
- Watch: The King’s Fund in-conversation event: “Compassionate and inclusive leadership: supportive leadership cultures and the NHS long-term plan”: Chief People Officer, Prerana Issar in conversation with Sam Allen, Don Berwick and Professor West on Compassionate and inclusive leadership.
Compassionate and inclusive leadership within our health and care systems
- Read: Prof. Michael West, ‘Compassionate Leadership: Sustaining wisdom, humanity and presence in health and social care’: In his latest book (published 2021, widely available to buy), Prof. Michael West describes compassionate leadership, dispelling myths and explaining how collective, compassionate leadership improves performance, innovation and quality improvement in health and social care settings. The book covers compassionate and inclusive leadership at each of the levels listed here, but specifically Chapter 9 focuses on compassionate leadership across boundaries.
- Read: General Sir Gordon Messenger, Leadership for a collaborative and inclusive future: In his 2022 report, General Sir Gordon Messenger identifies collaborative behaviours as the “bedrock of effective system outcomes”.
- Read: Well-led framework: The new framework maintains focus on strong integrated governance and leadership across quality, finance and operations, and in line with the changing operating environment, increases emphasis on organisational culture, improvement and system working.