We recognise that there are a wide range of resources which describe compassionate and inclusive cultures across a range of sectors. However, it can be difficult with limited time available to find relevant resources for your needs. We’ve therefore collected a range of resources within these pages which we feel are a good place to start.
Compassionate and inclusive leadership by us as individuals
- Prof. Michael West and The Kings Fund, ‘If it’s about NHS culture, it’s about leadership’: Writing for the King’s Fund, Prof. Michael West describes the impact of individual leaders on the culture of an organisation, and the early development of our Culture and Leadership Programme.
- What are the characteristics of a compassionate leader?: This short course provides a brief synopsis of how to demonstrate compassionate leadership.
Compassionate and inclusive leadership within our teams
- The importance of teaming in health and care: Amy Edmondson and The King’s Fund: Harvard Professor and psychological safety expert Amy Edmondson shares her perspectives on how to create belonging in teams
- The importance of psychological safety: Amy Edmondson and The King’s Fund: In this piece for The King’s Fund, Harvard Professor and psychological safety expert Amy Edmondson explains what Psychological Safety is and the part it plays in delivering safe and effective care.
- The King’s Fund ‘Five myths of compassionate leadership’: In this article, Prof. Michael West and Suzie Bailey outline 5 myths that must be addressed to ensure people see the value of compassionate leadership.
Compassionate and inclusive leadership for our organisations
- Three Ways to Create Psychological Safety in Health Care: Amy Edmondson and the Institute for Healthcare Improvement: Harvard Professor and psychological safety expert Amy Edmondson explains three ways to create psychological safety in health care in this piece for the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI)
- The King’s Fund in-conversation event: “Compassionate and inclusive leadership: supportive leadership cultures and the NHS long-term plan”: Chief People Officer, Prerana Issar in conversation with Sam Allen, Don Berwick and Professor West on Compassionate and inclusive leadership.
Compassionate and inclusive leadership within our health and care systems
- Developing collective leadership for health care: Report about why we need more collective leadership in healthcare and how to change culture