- Darlington Borough Council as lead applicant, in partnership with public , private and voluntary sector organisations .
- 3600 homes across 3 sites.
- Greenfield and regeneration sites.
- Timeline: 2018 for phase one through to 2025.
- Region: North
The Darlington plan provides an opportunity to build health into the design of new estate developments – both private housing and healthcare-oriented estate. The Darlington HNT programme brings together clinicians, community representatives, care providers, technology and digital innovators and health and social care commissioners to “rethink” how health, wellbeing and care services can be delivered. A key element of the additionality in health gain is the focus on community regeneration. The contribution that education, training and skill development and employment make to improving health is well recognised. The Darlington HNT model aims to improve life chances and create health gain for those communities.
Using the regeneration opportunity to establish a new model of care:
- The first of three integrated health and well-being villages which will sit at the core of the town’s reconfigured health and social care services.
- A refocus for the local acute district general hospital site and service, now becoming a central health and well-being facility delivering most of the town’s unplanned care, rehabilitation and intermediate care support systems.
- Integrated exercise and recreational approaches including walking and cycling routes to community, educational and work places
Maximising independence and lifestyle choices:
- Building smart houses in neighbourhoods with built in monitoring and information access.
- Further developing the local innovative digital health system, which allows phone line, app and internet based digital technology to be linked to GP and hospital record systems
Improved planning and predictive modelling of the population needs and requirements:
- Using ‘big data’ available from health, social care, local authority voluntary organisations.
- Establishing effective data sharing.
- Identifying those at risk of developing long term conditions and frailty.
- Predict population needs and changes to improve commissioning.
What have Darlington done so far (not exhaustive)?
- Section 106 agreed for Burdon Hill and Lingfield Point developments.
- Masterplan agreed for: Burdon Hill; Red Hall/Stables and HEPCA agreed.
- Darlington HNT planning principles document produced.
What do Darlington plan to do in the future?
- Digital platform rolled out across primary care and care homes.
- Fully integrated and interoperable telehealth, telecare and telemedicine developed.
- Masterplan developed for first houses being built to HNT design principles.
- Health hub design agreed.
- Collective clinical and administration workforce plan agreed for the hub covering primary care, community and mental health as a minimum.