Special Care Dentistry Clinical Chair
Special Care Dentistry Managed Clinical Network
The aim of the Special Care Managed Clinical Network is to ensure the highest standard of appropriate oral care for both adults and children with additional needs are provided throughout the South West region.
The Special Care MCN is an NHS England managed clinical leadership advisory group which will:
- Agree a yearly work plan, objectives and time frames with NHS England and NHS Improvement South West Local Dental Network core group
- Interface with the LDN to contribute to local planning and prioritisation and understand the wider local priorities and action plans. To agree objectives and report on progress.
- Receive and consider information on clinical needs assessments, service delivery, quality, treatment outcomes, cost-effectiveness and equity of access data, in order to advise NHS England and NHS Improvement, Health Education England (HEE), Public Health England (PHE) and Local Professional Network (LDN) leads.
- Contribute to the development and subsequent implementation of strategies that will improve service care provision.
- Contribute to the development of referral management systems.
- Support the implementation of evidence-based pathways of the best and most cost-effective patient care across all sectors of service provision (i.e. primary, secondary and tertiary care).
- Communicate freely with other regional MCN’s in order to either adopt or adapt relevant systems and approaches that may be of benefit to the local population.
- Ensure there is a mechanism for patients’ and carers views on their local clinical services to be expressed and heard.
- Advise on criteria to improve quality, value and treatment outcomes.
- Contribute to an appraisal system for providers in collaboration with the local Director of Health Education England and other appropriate bodies.
- Communicate with and about general dental and primary care practitioners or contracted providers to identify where performance could be improved in the delivery of what is expected within primary care to guide commissioners.
- Advise on areas where further education would be beneficial and, in particular communicate this to Health Education England.
- Report and share the activities and effect of the Special Care / Paediatric MCN, in order to support LDNs and commissioners meet the needs of the local population, in a role that is integral to the NHS England commissioning process.
|Lorna Hollingworth||NHS England, Special Care Dentistry MCN||MCN Chair, Consultant in Special Care Dentistry|
|Funke Adetona||Gloucestershire Community Dental Service||Clinical Director|
|Mick Allen||Smile Together, Cornwall Community Dental Service||Specialist in Special Care Dentistry|
|Camilla Boynton||Somerset NHS Foundation Trust (Dorset CDS)||Specialist in Special Care Dentistry|
|Firoozeh Curran||Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust CDS||Dental Clinical Director|
|Rebecca Hammond||Smile Together, Cornwall Community Dental Service||Specialist in Special Care Dentistry|
|Matthew Heming||Northern Devon Healthcare Trust CDS||Clinical Lead|
|Louise Hopper||Plymouth Community Dental Service||Specialist in Special Care Dentistry|
|Alison James||Plymouth Community Dental Service||Specialist in Special Care Dentistry|
|Debbie Lewis||Somerset NHS Foundation Trust (Somerset CDS)||Specialist in Special Care Dentistry|
|Jessica Mann||Wiltshire / Swindon CDS||Specialist in Special Care Dentistry|
|Lucy McArthur||Wiltshire / Swindon CDS||Clinical Director|
|Khurram Rashid||BNSSG & BaNES Community Dental Service||Head of Service|
|Patricia Thresh||Somerset Community Dental Service||Clinical Lead|
|George Schofield||Avon LDC||GDP|
|Malaaika Al-Koky||Gloucestershire LDC||GDP|
|Sarah Mount||Cornwall LDC||GDP|
|Suzanne Coward||Devon LDC||GDP|
|Lucy Parke||Somerset LDC||GDP|
|Sarah Jackson||Dorset LDC||GDP|
|TBC||Bristol Dental School||TBC|
|Rob Witton||Peninsula Dental School||Professor of Community Dentistry|
|Samantha Braddock||Health Education England||Dental Tutor|
|TBC||Dental Care Professional/s||TBC|
|Gemma Allen||Specialist Trainee Registrar||Specialist Trainee Registrar|
|Sara Harford||Specialist Trainee Registrar||Specialist Trainee Registrar|
|Sarah Addington-Hall||Specialist Trainee Registrar||Specialist Trainee Registrar|
|Sarah McFarlane||NHS England||Dental Network Manager|
|Amy Claridge||NHS England||Programme Manager (Dental Reform)|
|Tessa Fielding||NHS England||Programme Manager (Devon, Cornwall, Dorset & Somerset)|
|Jo Lawton||NHS England||Programme Manager (BNSSG, BSW and Gloucestershire)|
|Matthew Jerreat||NHS England||South West Local Dental Network Chair, Consultant in Restorative Dentistry|
|Zoe Allen||NHS England||Consultant in Dental Public Health|
MCN meetings are held on a quarterly basis via MS Teams. The dates of meetings for 2022/23 are:
30th September 2022 from 1.00 – 3.00pm
20th January 2023 from 1.00 – 3.00pm
The MCN will be hosting a study session on 9th November 2022 from 2.00 – 5.00pm via MS Teams. The theme for the session is Patient Communication and Engagement. It will be an open session which will provide 3 hours CPD and will be bookable on maxcourse.
The MCN will also be hosting a learning event on 24th November 2022 from 7.00 – 8.30pm via MS Teams. This session will cover referral pathways and referral forms. It will be an open session which will provide 1.5 hours CPD and will be bookable on maxcourse.
Referral Guidance and Forms
Pathways for children and adults with congenital heart disease
The South West Special Care MCN have adopted the pathways for children and adults with congenital heart disease, as published on the South Wales and South West Congenital Heart Disease Network website. Please click the links below to view the pathway documents.