Consultant Senior Clinical Lecturer, Special Care Dentistry.
Bristol Dental Hospital & School.
Clinical Director for Primary Care Dental Service, BNSSG & BANES.
Purpose of Special Care/Paediatric Managed Clinical Network
The aim of the Special Care/Paediatric Managed Clinical Network is to ensure the highest standard of appropriate oral care for both adults and children with additional needs are provided throughout the South West region.
The Special Care/Paediatric MCN is an NHS England managed clinical leadership advisory group which will:
- Agree a yearly work plan, objectives and time frames with NHS England South West Local Dental Network core group
- Interface with the LDN to contribute to local planning and prioritization and understand the wider local priorities and action plans. To agree objectives and report on progress.
- Receive and consider information on clinical needs assessments, service delivery, quality, treatment outcomes, cost-effectiveness and equity of access data, in order to advise NHS England, Health Education England (HEE), Public Health England (PHE) and Local Professional Network (LDN) leads.
- Contribute to the development and subsequent implementation of strategies that will improve service care provision.
- Contribute to the development of referral management systems.
- Support the implementation of evidence-based pathways of the best and most cost-effective patient care across all sectors of service provision (i.e. primary, secondary and tertiary care).
- Communicate freely with other regional MCN’s in order to either adopt or adapt relevant systems and approaches that may be of benefit to the local population.
- Ensure there is a mechanism for patients’ and carers views on their local clinical services to be expressed and heard.
- Advise on criteria to improve quality, value and treatment outcomes.
- Contribute to an appraisal system for providers in collaboration with the local Director of Health Education England and other appropriate bodies.
- Communicate with and about general dental and primary care practitioners or contracted providers to identify where performance could be improved in the delivery of what is expected within primary care to guide commissioners.
- Advise on areas where further education would be beneficial and, in particular communicate this to Health Education England.
- Report and share the activities and effect of the Special Care / Paediatric MCN, in order to support LDNs and commissioners meet the needs of the local population, in a role that is integral to the NHS England commissioning process.
- Clinical Chair: Tony Brooke:, Consultant in SCD, Clinical Director for BNSSG & BaNES PCDS
- Vice Chair: Daniel Knibb: Lead Dentist for North Devon PCDS
- Firoozeh Curran: Lead Dentist for Torbay and South Devon
- Funke Adetone: Clinical Director Gloucesteshire PCDS
- Alison Pink: Clinical Director Wiltshire PCDS
- Sarah Dewhurst:: Consultant in Paediatric Dentistry BDH
- Lorna Hollingsworth: Clinical Director Somerset Partnership
- Paddy Finnegan: Paediatric Specialist Somerset Partnership
- Louise Hopper: Cornwall Community Services
- Claire Knight: Clinical Lead for Plymouth PCDS
- Alison James: Plymouth PCDS Clinical Director Cornwall Community Services
- Paul Harwood: Dental Public Health Consultant PHE South West
- Graham Adlard: Chair of the Local Professional Network
- Tessa Fielding: NHS England SW Contracts Manager
- Debbie Freeman: NHS England SW Contracts and Commissioning Group
Annual AGM whole day as face to face business meeting and educational CPD with accredited content in the afternoon, followed by Quarterly meetings Via webex.
Referral Guidance and Forms