Getting copies of medical records

A request for information from medical records has to be made with the organisation that holds your records – the data controller. For example, your GP practice, optician or dentist.

For hospital records, contact the records manager or patient services manager at the relevant hospital trust. You can find a list of hospital trusts and their contact details here.

GP medical records for un-registered or deceased individuals

If you are looking to make a request for the GP medical records of a deceased individual you will need to contact their last registered GP practice.

NHS England is only the data controller for GP medical records where an individual is currently not registered with a GP, or is deceased and the practice they were last registered with is now closed.

These records are held by Primary Care Support England (PCSE) on behalf of NHS England. To request access to GP medical records in these circumstances please visit the PCSE website.

You can find more information about accessing medical records on the website.