Other health organisations

Health Research

The Health Research Authority (HRA) has a section of its website for patients and the public who want to find out more about public involvement in research.  It includes:

  • Information on how to get involved with HRA’s work.
  • The research regulated and approved by the HRA.
  • Information for people thinking about taking part in health research, such as clinical trials and research.


Your local Healthwatch is responsible for making sure patients’ and carers’ voices are heard at a local level. You can contact them to find out about the opportunities they have for you to get involved. You can visit the Healthwatch website to find contact details for your local Healthwatch.

Condition specific groups and charities

If you have experience of living with, or caring for someone with a specific condition you may also want to get involved in the work of a condition specific group, such as a local or national charity. Your doctor or nurse might be able to tell you about relevant charities or you could visit the National Association of Voluntary and Community Action (NAVCA) website where you can search for details of local voluntary and community groups in your area.