Formed in 2009, the National Quality Board (NQB) champions the importance of quality and drives system alignment of quality across health and care on behalf of NHS England and Improvement, NHS Digital, the Care Quality Commission, the Office of Health Promotion and Disparities, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, Health Education England, the Department of Health and Social Care, and Healthwatch England.
The NQB provides advice, recommendations and endorsement on matters relating to quality, and acts as a collective to influence, drive and ensure system alignment of quality programmes and initiatives.
Its aim is to support delivery of the Long Term Plan’s ambition for quality in the NHS, while encouraging high quality care for all across all of health, public health and social care. Its current priorities include supporting system transformation and the integration of care and outcomes, understanding and addressing unwarranted variation and inequalities, and supporting learning and recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Professor Stephen Powis, National Medical Director, NHS England
- Dr Sean O’Kelly, Chief Inspector of Hospitals, Chief Inspector Primary Care Services, Care Quality Commission
- Ruth May, Chief Nursing Officer, NHS England
- Dr Aidan Fowler, National Director of Patient Safety, NHS England
- Dr Vinod Diwakar, Medical Director for Secondary Care and Transformation, NHS England
- Kate Terroni, Chief Inspector of Adult Social Care, Care Quality Commission
Clenton Farquharson, Lived Experience Expert
- Anna Severwright, Lived Experience Expert
- Professor Wendy Reid, Director of Education & Training, Health Education England
- Professor Mark Radford, Director of Nursing, Health Education England
- Professor Yvonne Doyle, Medical Director NHS Public Health
- Professor Jamie Waterall, Deputy Chief Nurse, Office for Health Improvement and Disparities
- Gail Allsopp, Interim Chief Medical Officer, National Institute of Health and Care Excellence
- Dr Shera Chok, Acting Chief Medical Officer, NHS Digital
- Louise Ansari, National Director, Healthwatch England
- Professor Deborah Sturdy, Chief Nurse for Adult Social Care, Department of Health and Social Care
- Lyn Romeo, Chief Social Worker for Adults, Department of Health and Social Care
- William Vineall, Director of NHS Quality, Safety and Investigations, Department of Health and Social Care
- Matthew Style, Director General, NHS Policy and Performance, Department of Health and Social Care
- Professor Jenny Harries, Chief Executive, UK Health Services Authority
- Dr Susan Hopkins, Chief Medical Advisor, UK Health Services Authority