Formed in 2009, the National Quality Board (NQB) champions the importance of quality and drives system alignment of quality across health and care on behalf of NHS England and Improvement, NHS Digital, the Care Quality Commission, the Office of Health Promotion and Disparities, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, Health Education England, the Department of Health and Social Care, and Healthwatch England.
The NQB provides advice, recommendations and endorsement on matters relating to quality, and acts as a collective to influence, drive and ensure system alignment of quality programmes and initiatives.
Its aim is to support delivery of the Long Term Plan’s ambition for quality in the NHS, while encouraging high quality care for all across all of health, public health and social care. Its current priorities include supporting system transformation and the integration of care and outcomes, understanding and addressing unwarranted variation and inequalities, and supporting learning and recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Professor Steve Powis, National Medical Director, NHS England
- Professor Ted Baker, Chief Inspector of Hospitals, Care Quality Commission
- Ruth May, Chief Nursing Officer, NHS England and NHS Improvement
- Dr Aidan Fowler, National Director of Patient Safety, NHS England and NHS Improvement
- Hugh McCaughey, National Director of Improvement, NHS England and NHS Improvement
- Rosie Benneyworth, Chief Inspector of Primary Medical Services and Integrated Care, Care Quality Commission
- Kate Terroni, Chief Inspector of Adult Social Care, Care Quality Commission
- Clenton Farquharson, Patient and Public Voice Expert
- Anna Severwright, Patient and Public Voice Expert
- Imelda Redmond CBE, National Director, Healthwatch England
- Professor Wendy Reid, Director of Education & Training, Health Education England
- Professor Mark Radford, Director of Nursing, Health Education England
- Professor Yvonne Doyle, Medical Director: NHS Public Health
- Professor Viv Bennett CBE, Chief Nurse, Office of Health Promotion and Disparities
- Professor Kevin Harris, Programme Director and Clinical Advisor, National Institute of Health and Care Excellence
- Professor Jonathan Benger, Chief Medical Officer, NHS Digital
- Lee McDonough, Director General for Acute Care and Workforce, Director of Health and Social Care