1. Support the NHS to attract and retain more people, working differently in a compassionate and inclusive culture
The workforce is at the heart of the NHS. NHS staff showed enormous dedication and resilience during the pandemic, and it is vital that we continue to support their wellbeing so they can recover and continue to provide the high quality of service patients require.
A key part of our strategy to increase the workforce is the ethical recruitment of nurses trained outside the UK, who bring their valuable skills to the NHS and enhance the wider nursing workforce with their experience and expertise. International recruitment is vital for the ongoing management of COVID-19, the transition from response to recovery of services, and other service pressures.
During 2022/23 we will also work with the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) and Health Education England (HEE) to develop a workforce strategy that builds on the 15-year strategic framework developed by HEE and the NHS People Promise and People Plan.
Our commitments for 2022/23
Attract and retain more people
- Support NHS trusts to recruit nurses, midwives and allied health professionals (AHPs), including by increasing international recruitment.
- Support the creation of bespoke multidisciplinary teams through the Additional Roles Reimbursement Scheme.
- Simplify and make recruitment processes quicker, ensuring they are fair and inclusive.
- Work with the DHSC to deliver pension reforms, reducing the number of staff retiring early.
- Support the adoption of interoperable e-rostering, the Digital Staff Passport and the NHS Staff App.
- Respond to the leadership recommendations in the Messenger review.
Compassionate and inclusive culture
- Support the development of whole system plans that include approaches to protecting and promoting the health, wellbeing and safety of staff, embedding a compassionate and inclusive culture.
- Revise the fit and proper persons requirements and work with the Care Quality Commission (CQC) to update the ‘well-led’ framework.
- Deliver an inclusive board support offer to NHS organisations to promote board-level diversity.
You can download a PDF version of our 2022/23 business plan here