Healthy teams lead to healthy patients. This guide support any team seeking to improve their health and wellbeing, through a culture change approach. It is for all teams working in health and care, inclusive of all team forms and functions, across healthcare, primary care, social care and voluntary sectors. Inspired by the NHS health and wellbeing framework and NHS healthy leadership framework this guide has been co-designed with colleagues across health, social care and voluntary sectors. It is for teams who are looking for inspiration and guidance to begin creating their local culture of wellbeing in a simple, practical and engaging way.
This video provides a brief overview of the guide and explains how it can inspire and support you and your team.
The guide is separated into the following sections. We recommend you start with identifying your team’s wellbeing goals, and then dip in and out of the other sections based on your identified needs and creating your own journey.
- Identify your team’s wellbeing goals – this is where you can start your journey and find help to support you in understanding your team’s wellbeing needs.
- Creating a safe and inclusive space to talk about wellbeing – this section will help team members to think about leadership behaviours in a team.
- Looking after your emotional, physical and mental health – this section will help team members to think about leadership behaviours in a team.
- Ensuring you have a safe working environment – this section will help you to review your physical workspaces and the facilities available to rest, recover and succeed. It also explores safety at work and dealing with aggression in the workplace.
- Collaborative and supportive relationships that promote social wellbeing – this section will help team members to reflect on the ways the team works together to boost civility, respect and build compassion.
- Finding meaning in the work you do and bringing your whole self to work – this section will help team members to connect with the wider purpose of the team and encourage each team member to tap into their full potential and bring their ‘whole self’ to work.
- Knowing where to go when you need wellbeing support – this section will help team members to gain a shared understanding of the workload within the team and the services available to support team members to look after their health and wellbeing.
- Review and revisit your team’s wellbeing culture and goals – this section will help team members revisit and review their wellbeing culture and goals.
- Inspiration Library – this section provides additional learning and resources to further support you and your team.
Further resources – Team wellbeing hub
This online resource, co-created with the NHS, social care and voluntary and community sector organisations, provides inspiration and useful tools that you can use with your team to create a culture of wellbeing. It includes:
- insight into what other teams have done – hints, tips and ideas
- existing and emerging wellbeing tools
- new and existing research from across the NHS and beyond
- team wellbeing activities generated from feedback from others who have used the guide.
Join our FutureNHS site (you will need to register for an account) to access the hub and find inspiring and useful resources and tools to help you create a team culture of wellbeing.