The Pharmacy Manual forms part of a suite of policies and procedures to support commissioning and contract management of primary care.
These policies and procedures support quality and consistency of commissioning and eliminate duplication of effort in the management of the four primary care contractor groups.
All policies and procedures have been designed to support the principle of proportionality. By applying these policies and procedures, commissioners should be able to respond to local issues within a national framework.
The policies are underpinned by five key principles;
- To support the continuous improvement of primary care
- To maintain the right balance between operating in a consistent fashion, maintaining appropriate local flexibility
- Clear alignment with NHS England commissioning policy and NHS England business plan.
- Compliance with legislation
- To support a reasonable, proportionate and consistent approach across the four primary care contractor groups.
This suite of documents will be refined in light of feedback from users. Please send your feedback email@example.com clearly stating in the subject header “Policy feedback: policy name”.
NHS England has published a new chapter and addenda to the Pharmacy Manual. This addition, chapter 12A, provides information and guidance for contract managers on processing applications from pharmacies wishing to consolidate onto a single premises, where doing so will not result in a gap in provision. The addenda provide templates and other resources to support this process.
Please see below to access additional policies:
For information on the Quality Payments scheme, please see our Pharmacy Quality Payments – Gateway Criteria Guidance web page.