In 2018 we established a programme board for gender dysphoria services. The programme board is responsible for leading the future delivery and configuration of specialised services for people with gender dysphoria across England. Read the terms of reference and membership.
The Clinical Reference Group (CRG) provides independent expert advice to the Programme Board for Gender Dysphoria Services on the various aspects of the board’s work.
Dr John Dean, Consultant at Devon Partnership NHS Trust, is the CRG chair. The other clinical members are:
- Dr Sarah Davidson, Consultant Clinical Psychologist
- Matthew Mills, Consultant Speech and Language Therapist
- Dr Talat Mushtaq, Consultant in Paediatric Endocrinology
- Dr Jatinder Singh, General Practitioner
- Dr Robert Wilson, Consultant in Public Health Medicine.
Since the Programme Board for Gender Dysphoria Services was set up, it has:
- developed two new service specifications for adult services, that were agreed by us as an outcome of extensive stakeholder engagement and public consultation
- overseen the process of awarding contracts for the provision of specialised services for adults (surgical and non-surgical) through a process of competitive procurement
- developed the framework for the establishment of new gender dysphoria services in primary care and sexual health services, as pilots for evaluation, in London, Greater Manchester and Cheshire and Merseyside
- established a national referral support service to assist individuals in choosing a surgical provider that can best meet their objectives; the next phase of this work will involve establishing a new quality framework that requires designated surgical providers to report meaningful clinical indicators, and that includes patient reported outcome and experience measures (to be co-designed with people with lived experience).
Adult services for gender dysphoria
In 2018 we published two new service specifications for adult services, formed through a process of extensive stakeholder engagement and public consultation. You can read the analysis of responses and consultation report; and the service specifications:
- Gender identity services for adults; non-surgical interventions
- Gender identity services for adults; surgical interventions.
Gender identity development service for children and young people
The service specification for the gender identity development service for children and young people and supporting clinical commissioning policy for prescribing cross sex hormones are below.
- Gender identity development service for children and adolescent service specification
- Clinical commissioning policy for prescribing cross sex hormones
- Terms of reference for review of gender identity development service for children and adolescents