Women and Children is one of six National Programmes of Care (NPoCs) overseeing the commissioning of specialised and highly specialised services.
The role of the NPoC is to provide leadership and oversight of the development and delivery of a comprehensive work programme that achieves demonstrable improvements in the quality, equity, value and outcomes of commissioned specialised services.
The Women and Children NPoC covers services in women and children, congenital and inherited diseases. It consists of an NPoC Board and ten Clinical Reference Groups (CRGs) as follows
- Specialised Surgery in Children (E02)
- Paediatric Medicine (E03)
- Paediatric Neurosciences (E04)
- Congenital Heart Services (E05)
- Metabolic Disorders (E06)
- Paediatric Intensive Care (E07)
- Neonatal Critical Care (E08)
- Specialised Women’s Services (E09)
CRGs provide clinical advice and leadership on the specialised services in the Women and Children NPoC. These groups of clinicians, commissioners, public health experts, patients and carers use their specific knowledge and expertise to advise NHS England on the best ways that specialised services should be provided.
CRGs lead on the development of clinical commissioning policies, service specifications and quality standards. They also provide advice on innovation, horizon scanning, service reviews and guide work to reduce variation and deliver increased value. CRGs, through their Patient and Public Voice (PPV) members, also help ensure that any changes to the commissioning of specialised services involve patients and the public.
Chair and membership of the Women and Children Programme of Care Steering Group
Chair and National Programme of Care Clinical Lead: Mr Simon Kenny, National Clinical Director and Consultant Paediatric Surgeon at Alder Hey Children’s NHS Foundation Trust
- Senior National Programme of Care Manager: Anthony Prudhoe
- National Programme of Care Manager: Daniel Eve
- National Programme of Care Manager: Katie Jones
- Commissioning Manager Highly Specialised: Bernie Stocks and Joan Ward
- Regional Medical director of Commissioning: Roz Lindridge
- Public Health Leads: Jacqui Lindo and Nevila Kallfa
- Quality Surveillance Team Lead: Lisa Cunnington
- Pharmacy Leads: Heather Weaver and Lynn Richley
- Programme of Care PPV member: Nicki Burnett
- Programme of Care PPV member: Peter Moore