Women and Children is one of six National Programmes of Care (NPoCs) overseeing the commissioning of specialised and highly specialised services.
The role of the NPoC is to provide leadership and oversight of the development and delivery of a comprehensive work programme that achieves demonstrable improvements in the quality, equity, value and outcomes of commissioned specialised services.
The Women and Children NPoC covers services in women and children, congenital and inherited diseases. It consists of an NPoC Board and ten Clinical Reference Groups (CRGs) as follows:
- Medical Genetics (E01)
- Specialised Surgery in Children (E02)
- Paediatric Medicine (E03)
- Paediatric Neurosciences (E04)
- Congenital Heart Services (E05)
- Metabolic Disorders (E06)
- Paediatric Intensive Care (E07)
- Neonatal Critical Care (E08)
- Specialised Women’s Services (E09)
- Gender Identity Services (Adult) (E10)
CRGs provide clinical advice and leadership on the specialised services in the Women and Children NPoC. These groups of clinicians, commissioners, public health experts, patients and carers use their specific knowledge and expertise to advise NHS England on the best ways that specialised services should be provided.
CRGs lead on the development of clinical commissioning policies, service specifications and quality standards. They also provide advice on innovation, horizon scanning, service reviews and guide work to reduce variation and deliver increased value. CRGs, through their Patient and Public Voice (PPV) members, also help ensure that any changes to the commissioning of specialised services involve patients and the public.
Chair and membership of the Women and Children NPoC Board
Chair: Teresa Fenech
- Co-Chair: Dr Peter Wilson
- Senior Programme of Care Manager: Anthony Prudhoe
- National Programme of Care Manager: Anna Eccleston
- Commissioning Manager Highly Specialised: Bernie Stocks and Joan Ward
- Regional Programme of Care Manager North: Penny Gray
- Regional Programme of Care Manager Midlands & East: Daniel Eve
- Regional Programme of Care Manager London: Rachel Lundy
- Regional Programme of Care Manager South: Linda Doherty
- Programme of Care PPV member: Nick Meade
- Programme of Care PPV member: Peter Moore