Independent prescribing by Therapeutic Radiographers
Further to an announcement from George Freeman MP (Minister for Life Sciences, Department of Health) on Friday 26 February 2016, eligible therapeutic radiographers are able to independently prescribe medicines, following the successful completion of a Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) approved prescribing programme.
Although the Commission on Human Medicines (CHM) supported the proposal for therapeutic radiographers, they did not support the proposal for independent prescribing by diagnostic radiographers at this time. An overview of their recommendations for radiographers are available.
NHS England will continue to work closely with the Department of Health (DH), the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) and the Society and College of Radiographers (SCoR) to further consider the proposals for independent prescribing by diagnostic radiographers.
NHS England hosted a public consultation on proposals to introduce independent prescribing by radiographers between February and April 2015.
- Summary of the responses to the public consultation on proposals to introduce independent prescribing by radiographers across the United Kingdom – Provides a summary of the responses received to the consultation which was held between February and May 2015. The document also outlines next steps following changes to legislation to enable independent prescribing by therapeutic radiographers.
- Consultation on proposals to introduce independent prescribing by radiographers across the United Kingdom – The main consultation document which sets out the proposals.
The changes in legislation for therapeutic radiographers are supported by the following information:
- Impact assessment – Contains evidence of the costs, benefits and risks of the introduction of independent prescribing by therapeutic radiographers.
- Practice guidance for radiographer independent and/or Supplementary prescribers – Developed by the SCoR and provides guidance around the use of independent prescribing by therapeutic radiographers and supplementary prescribing by both therapeutic and diagnostic radiographers.
- Outline curriculum framework to prepare therapeutic radiographers as independent prescribers and the outline curriculum framework for conversion programmes to prepare therapeutic radiographer supplementary prescribers as independent prescribers – The SCoR has developed an outline curriculum aimed at education providers with an interest in developing education programmes and individuals interested in education programmes for therapeutic radiographers to become independent prescribers .