For an allied health professional (AHP), or person working alongside or in support of AHPs, with leadership or oversight within a health or care provider organisation.
AHPs champion and promote diverse and inclusive leadership
Environmental sustainability – How could I hold the net zero agenda central to my system-level decision making, and is my AHP community contributing to the delivery of my Green Plan (or equivalent)?
Have I considered how AHPs can contribute to the delivery of my organisation’s Green Plan (or equivalent)?
- Your organisation will have a Green Plan that you can familiarise yourself with and consider how AHPs can contribute to its delivery:
- The Centre for Sustainable Healthcare provides resources for implementing your NHS Green Plan
- The ‘Delivering a ‘Net Zero’ National Health Service’ report includes principles and examples of sustainable practice
- Here are suggestions of how AHPs can make a positive impact towards net zero
- The four principles of Sustainable Clinical Practice can be applied to AHP practice, with the first two already a core part of how many AHPs deliver care.
Have I publicised sustainability networks for AHPs to join?
- The National AHP Virtual Hub on Future NHS has a Greener AHP Forum
- The Greener NHS Community has a member space on Future NHS
- The Centre for Sustainable Healthcare has networks for different clinical specialities, including AHP Susnet and other AHP networks:
- You could link in with your organisational/service sustainability groups/leads.
AHPs in the right place, at the right time, with the right skills
Environmental sustainability – What structures do I have in place for supporting AHPs to maximise the sustainability of their practice, including the completion of sustainable healthcare training and application of its principles?
- The Greener NHS training hub brings together a variety of training and educational offers at the intersection of climate and health
- The free to access Environmentally Sustainable Healthcare training programme from the Centre for Sustainable Healthcare (CSH) and Greener NHS
- Materials for the Greener AHP Lunch and Learn session can be accessed in the Greener AHP Forum, which is part of the National AHP Virtual Hub on Future NHS
- Public health and prevention are areas where AHPs are well placed to lead on net zero
- Training about preventative healthcare and climate change can be accessed for free through ‘All Our Health’
- This climate and health focused ‘All Our Health’ guide helps health and care professionals prevent ill health and promote wellbeing as part of their everyday practice
- The Centre for Sustainable Healthcare provides further courses in sustainable healthcare.
AHPs commit to research, innovation, and evaluation
Environmental sustainability – How could I enable AHPs to develop innovative greener practices and service models, and how could I record evidence of improvements and the sharing and spread of adoption?
How could I enable AHPs to develop innovative greener practices and service models?
- The Environmentally Sustainable Healthcare training programme includes a free session on ‘Environmental Sustainability in Quality Improvement’ (SusQI)
- There is information about Quality Improvement on the Greener AHP Hub or find out more at www.susqi.org
- Principles of sustainable models of care can be found in Greener NHS’ areas of focus
- There is information about sustainable models of care on the Greener AHP Hub
How could I record evidence of improvements?
- The Sustainable Healthcare Coalition’s care pathways carbon calculator. The calculator provides estimates of carbon values for commonly found healthcare activities such as appointments.
How could I record the improvements and the sharing and spread of adoption?
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your examples of Greener AHP practice for possible case studies
- See above for links to sustainability networks.
AHPs can further harness digital technology and innovation through data
Environmental sustainability – How could I support sustainable procurement and adoption of technology, and use technologies to benefit service users and reduce the carbon footprint of care?
- Digital transformation is an area where AHPs are well placed to lead on net zero.
- Information about digital, low-carbon transformation can be found on page 72 of the ‘Delivering a Net Zero NHS’ report.