For an allied health professional (AHP), or person working alongside or in support of AHPs, with leadership or oversight in one of the NHS regions in England.
AHPs champion and promote diverse and inclusive leadership
Environmental sustainability – How can net zero principles be held at the heart of regional decision making, and how do I support AHPs in my region to network and share success?
How can net zero principles be held at the heart of regional decision making?
- The ‘Delivering a ‘Net Zero’ National Health Service’ report includes principles and examples of sustainable practice.
- You could guide organisations to consider how AHPs can contribute to the delivery of their Green Plan
- The Centre for Sustainable Healthcare provides resources for implementing your NHS Green Plan
- Here are suggestions of how AHPs can make a positive impact towards net zero
- The four principles of Sustainable Clinical Practice can be applied to AHP practice, with the first two already being integral to many AHPs.
How do I support AHPs in my region to network and share success?
- The National AHP Virtual Hub on Future NHS has a Greener AHP Forum
- The Greener NHS Community has a member space on Future NHS
- The Centre for Sustainable Healthcare has networks for different clinical specialities, including AHP Susnet and other AHP networks
- You could link in with your organisational/service sustainability groups/leads.
AHPs in the right place, at the right time, with the right skills
Environmental sustainability – How could I promote the AHP workforce’s opportunities to engage in greener practice, including public health and preventative healthcare approaches and delivering on regional net zero priorities?
- The Greener NHS training hub brings together a variety of training and educational offers at the intersection of climate and health.
- The free to access Environmentally Sustainable Healthcare training programme from the Centre for Sustainable Healthcare (CSH) and Greener NHS
- Materials for the Greener AHP Lunch and Learn session can be accessed in the Greener AHP Forum, which is part of the National AHP Virtual Hub on Future NHS.
- The Centre for Sustainable Healthcare provides further courses in sustainable healthcare
- Public health and prevention are areas where AHPs are well placed to lead on net zero
- Training about preventative healthcare and climate change can be accessed for free through ‘All Our Health’
- This climate and health focused ‘All Our Health’ guide helps health and care professionals prevent ill health and promote wellbeing as part of their everyday practice
- You can connect with your regional Greener NHS team to understand regional sustainability priorities.
AHPs commit to research, innovation, and evaluation
Environmental sustainability –How could I support research and service improvement projects that innovate and integrate greener ways of working, and how do I share examples of greener AHP practice across my region and more widely?
- The Environmentally Sustainable Healthcare training programme includes a free session on ‘Environmental Sustainability in Quality Improvement’ (SusQI).
- There is information about Quality Improvement on the Greener AHP Hub or find out more at www.susqi.org
- Principles of sustainable models of care can be found in Greener NHS’ areas of focus.
- There is information about sustainable models of care on the Greener AHP Hub.
- The Sustainable Healthcare Coalition’s care pathways carbon calculator. The calculator provides estimates of carbon values for commonly found healthcare activities such as appointments.
- Email email@example.com with your examples of Greener AHP practice for possible case studies.
AHPs can further harness digital technology and innovation through data
Environmental sustainability –In what ways could I promote technological advances and environmentally sustainable use of technology to deliver greener AHP practice across the region?
- Digital transformation is an area where AHPs are well placed to lead on net zero.
- Information about digital, low-carbon transformation can be found on page 72 of the ‘Delivering a Net Zero NHS’ report.