The General Practice Forward View committed to strengthening the general practice workforce.
- Increase the number of doctors in general practice by a minimum of 5,000
- Increasing GP training places
- A range of ways to retain our GPs
- Supporting GPs to return to practice
- International GP Recruitment Programme.
- Increase the number of other health professionals by at least 5,000:
- 1,500 more pharmacists
- 3,000 more mental health therapists
- 1,000 more physician associates.
- Strengthen the general practice nursing workforce.
This will enable bigger teams of staff providing a wider range of care options for patients and freeing up time for GPs to focus on patients with more complex needs.
We commissioned independent research helped inform the development of the General Practice Forward View