This Clinical Reference Group (CRG) covers services within a specialised pain centre.
Chair: Dr John Hughes, Consultant in Pain Management, South Tees Hospitals NHS Trust.
Manohar Sharma, North
Sam Eldabe, North
Simon Thomson, Midlands & East
Olamide Olukoga, Midlands & East
Natasha Curran, London
Roxaneh Zarnegar, London
Jacqui Clinch, South
Neil Collighan, South
Roger Knaggs, Lead Pharmacist
Neil Betteridge, Patient & Public Voice
Heather Wallace, Patient & Public Voice
Judy Birch, Patient & Public Voice
Helen Morrison, Lead Commissioner, email@example.com
A key part of the CRG’s work is the delivery of the ‘products’ of commissioning. These are the tools used by the 10 Hub Commissioning Teams to contract services on an annual basis.
Service specifications are important in clearly defining the standards of care expected from organisations funded by NHS England to provide specialised care. The specifications have been developed by specialised clinicians, commissioners, expert patients and public health representatives to describe both core and developmental service standards. Core standards are those that all funded providers should be able to demonstrate, with developmental standards being those which may require further changes in practice over time to provide excellence in the field.
The following service specifications fall within the scope of this CRG:
A commissioning policy is a document that defines access to a service for a particular group of patients. A NICE Technology Appraisal Guideline on the same topic will replace, or be incorporated into, a commissioning policy as appropriate. These are important documents that are developed to ensure consistency in access to treatments nationwide.
The following policies fall within the scope of this CRG:
- Intrathecal pumps for treatment of severe cancer pain
- Occipital nerve stimulation for adults with intractable chronic migraines and medically refractory chronic cluster headaches
Not routinely commissioned:
- Sphenopalatine Ganglion Stimulation for Refractory, Chronic Cluster Headache (adults)
- Ziconotide (intrathecal delivery) for chronic refractory cancer pain
- Deep brain stimulation for central post stroke pain
- Intrathecal pumps for treatment of severe chronic pain
- Deep brain stimulation for chronic neuropathic pain