This Clinical Reference Group (CRG) covers specialised ophthalmology services for adults and children.
This Clinical Reference Group (CRG) covers:
- Specialised ophthalmology services for adults
- Specialised ophthalmology services for children.
- Louisa Wickham, Clinical Lead for Specialised Ophthalmology and National Clinical Director for Eye Care
- Nicola Symes, Lead Commissioner
- Robert Wilson, Public Health England lead
- Alison Davis, GIRFT Clinical Lead, Ophthalmology – affiliate member
Non-core members of the group may be drawn upon for specialist advice and expertise required to deliver the key objectives of the CRG work programme.
A key part of the CRG’s work is the delivery of the ‘products’ of commissioning. These are the tools used by the Regional Commissioning Teams to contract services on an annual basis.
Service specifications are important in clearly defining the standards of care expected from organisations funded by NHS England to provide specialised care. The specifications have been developed by specialised clinicians, commissioners, expert patients and public health representatives to describe both core and developmental service standards. Core standards are those that all funded providers should be able to demonstrate, with developmental standards being those which may require further changes in practice over time to provide excellence in the field.
The following service specifications fall within the scope of this CRG:
- Specialised Ophthalmology (Adult)
- Specialised Ophthalmology (Paediatrics)
- Ocular oncology service (Adults and Adolescents)
- Ophthalmic pathology service (All Ages)
- Osteo-odonto-keratoprosthesis service for corneal blindness (Adult)
- National Artificial Eye Service (All Ages)
- Keratoprosthesis for corneal blindness (all ages)
- Adalimumab Patient Information Leaflet
- Rituximab for immunobullous disease
Not routinely commissioned:
- Argus II retinal prosthesis
- Infliximab (Remicade) as Anti-TNF Alpha Treatment Option for Paediatric Patients with Severe Refractory Uveitis
- Mercaptamine hydrochloride viscous eyedrops for corneal cystine deposits in people aged older than 2 years
Policy statements are brief documents that define the current commissioning position to support service contracting.
The following policy statements fall within the scope of this CRG:
- Idebenone for treating people over 12 years of age with Leber’s Hereditary Optic Neuropathy
- Serum eye drops for the treatment of severe ocular surface disease (all ages)
Other related links
- Ophthalmology – Getting It Right First Time – GIRFT
- NHS England » EyesWise
- EyesWise is the Elective Care Transformation Programme’s project to save sight and improve people’s lives, in collaboration with the Royal College of Ophthalmologists.
If you are interested in the work of the specialised ophthalmology CRG or its NPOC, you can register as stakeholder.
For details on our latest consultations please visit the NHS England consultation hub.
Get in contact
For any questions or queries relating to the work of the specialised ophthalmology CRG or its NPOC, please contact: email@example.com