Support for clinical commissioning groups (CCGs)
NHS England provides an ongoing programme of support for professionals who are involved in the delivery of personal health budgets.
This programme of support aims to support the further roll-out of personal health budgets, in order to achieve the NHS Long Term Plan commitment of 200,000 personal health budgets by 2023/24, as well as supporting CCGs in line with their responsibilities regarding the legal right to have a personal health budget for people who are eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare and continuing care for children and to prepare for the intended extension of legal rights recently announced by government for personal wheelchair budgets and people eligible for section 117 aftercare.
The Personal Health Budget Delivery Team’s programme of support draws on the evidence and learning from the successful pilot programme, the implementation so far of personal health budgets in NHS Continuing Healthcare and in other areas, and draws on examples of best practice nationally.
The support includes:
- Access to regional support, advice and workshops via dedicated Regional Managers
- Regional network meetings
- Continuing Healthcare masterclasses
- Action learning sets
- Online learning network: A members-only online space for asking questions and sharing learning with other areas.
- Tools, guides and stories, supporting people to understand and implement personal health budgets.
- Specialist networks: including in NHS Continuing Care, mental health services, children’s services, and services for adults with learning disabilities.
- Policy and practice advice via the Q&A section of the learning network.
- Workforce development and culture change: advice on how to develop leadership among professionals and access to experts by experience.
- Evaluation: Tools to help you to measure progress and demonstrate results.
Refreshed programme of support – September 2017
A refreshed programme of national support started in September 2017, giving health and social care professionals the tools and expertise needed to provide personal health budgets.
Whether you’re new to personal health budgets and want to understand the benefits, hoping to get to grips with the steps involved, or already offering personal health budgets and wanting to take this further, a range of events and workshops are available to help meet your needs.
Click on the links below to see all dates available.
- Personal health budget essentials – Three hour sessions open to all NHS and local government professionals who are new to personal health budgets. Covering policy and NHS Mandate requirements, personalised care and support planning, the basics of setting budgets and examples of good practice.
- Personal health budget webinars: a practical guide to personal health budgets – A one hour webinar taking you through the steps of setting up a personal health budget for those unfamiliar with the process. Open to colleagues supporting personal health budget delivery across all sectors, including voluntary and community sector organisations.
- Voluntary, community and social enterprise sector (VCSE) network meetings (run by Voluntary Voices) – These meetings bring together professionals working in voluntary, community and social enterprise organisations who are working to support personal health budgets or are interested in finding out more.
- Personal health budgets for mental health (Section 117) workshops – These workshops are for teams of professionals supporting local mental health provision, including professionals working in commissioning of mental health services, mental health providers and local authority organisations. They will explore how personal health budgets can be used to support people with mental health problems with a specific focus on people who are eligible for Section 117 Aftercare.
- Personal wheelchair budget care and support planning workshops – Bespoke sessions for clinicians working in wheelchair services exploring the essential elements of care and support planning for personal wheelchair budgets.
- Personal health budget Continuing Healthcare Masterclasses – For teams of professionals working in NHS Continuing Healthcare teams, these masterclasses will help you move towards providing personal health budgets as standard in NHS Continuing Healthcare.
Personalised health and care framework
Published in June 2017, the Personalised health and care framework provides best practice advice for NHS and local government professionals delivering Integrated Personal Commissioning and implementing personal health budgets.
Developing IT solutions to support personal health budgets
NHS England has been running a programme on behalf of and with CCGs to ensure that IT solutions supporting personalised care are high quality and represent value for money.
Implementing personal health budgets and need more information?
If you work within the NHS, a local authority or a voluntary sector partner, you can sign up to the Personalised Care Collaborative Network to access a range of resources, share learning and discuss issues with colleagues across the country.
Alternatively, for more information please contact the national Personal Health Budgets team by emailing email@example.com.