Comprehensive model of personalised care
This comprehensive model of personalised care establishes:
- whole-population approaches to supporting people of all ages and their carers to manage their physical and mental health and wellbeing, build community resilience, and make informed decisions and choices when their health changes
- a proactive and universal offer of support to people with long-term physical and mental health conditions to build knowledge, skills and confidence and to live well with their health condition
- intensive and integrated approaches to empowering people with more complex needs to have greater choice and control over the care they receive.
The Model will helps us to deliver this shift by bringing together six, evidence-based components or programmes, each of which is defined by a standard set of practices. These are:
- Shared decision making
- Personalised care and support planning
- Enabling choice, including legal rights to choice
- Social prescribing and community-based support
- Supported self-management
- Personal health budgets and integrated personal budgets
Through these standard programmes there is a balance between specifying a national standard and enabling flexibility for local adaptation. We also build on existing personalised approaches that have been adopted by social care (and beyond) in many areas.
Evidence has shown that to realise the full benefits from personalised care, these components and programmes should be delivered together and in full, alongside key enablers which embed the necessary culture change – including strong system leadership, co-production and workforce engagement across the health and care system and in partnership with the voluntary and community sector.
Operating Model – updated
The updated Operating Model illustrates how all the various components work together to deliver a joined-up approach around the needs of each individual
- If you are working to deliver personalised care, these tools and framework may help.
- See how we’re delivering personalised care across England