E07. Paediatric critical care
This Lead and Inform Clinical Reference Group (CRG) covers intensive care services and associated specialised transport for children. Specialist paediatric intensive care services provide a care pathway for the very sick child from recognition and stabilisation, through retrieval (if necessary), to delivery of care in an appropriate paediatric intensive care facility in a Paediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) or in a Paediatric High Dependency Unit (PHDU).
Paediatric Intensive Care is also an important part of other specialist paediatric services and has a number of significant interdependencies.
Chair: Dr Peter Davis, Consultant Paediatric Intensivist, Paediatric Intensive Care Unit, Bristol Royal Hospital for Children
- Dr Miriam Fine-Goulden, Clinical Member
- Dr Peter-Marc Fortune, Clinical Member
- Karen Perring, Clinical Member
- Dr Padmanabhan Ramnarayan, Clinical Member
- Dr Jacqui Lindo, PHE Lead
- Willow Langdale-Smith, PPV Member
- Madeleine Wang, PPV Member
- James Fraser, Affiliate Member
- Kevin Morris, Affliate Member
- Daniel Eve, Lead Contact
A key part of the CRG’s work is the delivery of the ‘products’ of commissioning. These are the tools used by the 10 Hub Commissioning Teams to contract services on an annual basis.
Service specifications are important in clearly defining the standards of care expected from organisations funded by NHS England to provide specialised care. The specifications have been developed by specialised clinicians, commissioners, expert patients and public health representatives to describe both core and developmental service standards. Core standards are those that all funded providers should be able to demonstrate, with developmental standards being those which may require further changes in practice over time to provide excellence in the field.
The following service specifications fall within the scope of this CRG:
- Level 3 paediatric intensive care
- Extra corporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) service for neonates, infants and children with respiratory failure
- Paediatric intensive care retrieval (transport)
- Paediatric high dependency care
- Paediatric long term ventilation
If you are interested in the work of the specialised paediatric allergy, immunology and infectious disease CRG or its NPOC, you can register as a stakeholder.
For details on our latest consultations please visit the NHS England consultation hub.
Get in contact
For any questions or queries relating to the work of the specialised paediatric allergy, immunology and infectious disease CRG or its NPOC, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org