This is a respond and Advise Clinical Reference Group (CRG).
Paediatric gastroenterology is a subspeciality comprising of the investigation and management of disorders of the intestinal tract, including diagnostic endoscopy, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), motility disorders, (including complex gastro-oesophageal reflux and constipation), functional disorders and conditions leading to intestinal failure. It also encompasses two related specialities: paediatric hepatology (liver diseases) and nutritional care (complex); the nutritional management of children with gastrointestinal and other complex diseases including enteral and parenteral nutrition (intravenous feeding) and the provision of home parenteral nutrition.
This clinical reference group covers:
- Services for children and young people with complex gastrointestinal conditions or common gastrointestinal conditions requiring specialist input
- Services for children and young people with acute and chronic liver disorders
- Services for children and young people needing nutritional support
- Services for children and young people needing liver transplant
- Services for children and young people needing small bowel transplant
- Services for children and young people with liver disease
- Services for children and young people with intestinal pseudo-obstructive disorder
A clinical lead is currently being recruited.
A key part of the CRG’s work is the delivery of the ‘products’ of commissioning. These are the tools used by the 10 Hub Commissioning Teams to contract services on an annual basis.
Service specifications are important in clearly defining the standards of care expected from organisations funded by NHS England to provide specialised care. The specifications have been developed by specialised clinicians, commissioners, expert patients and public health representatives to describe both core and developmental service standards. Core standards are those that all funded providers should be able to demonstrate, with developmental standards being those which may require further changes in practice over time to provide excellence in the field.
The following service specifications fall within the scope of this CRG:
- Paediatric medicine: Gastroenterology,hepatology and nutrition
- Liver transplantation service (children)
- Intestinal pseudo-obstructive disorders service (children)
- Small bowel transplantation service (children and adults)
- Specialist liver disease service cChildren)
Not routinely commissioned
- Ustekinumab for refractory Crohn’s disease in pre-pubescent children
- Vedolizumab for refractory ulcerative colitis in pre-pubescent children
If you are interested in the work of the specialised paediatric gastroenterology CRG or its NPOC, you can register as a stakeholder.
For details on our latest consultations please visit the NHS England consultation hub.
Get in contact
For any questions or queries relating to the work of the specialised paediatric gastroenterology CRG or its NPOC, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org