This page sets out guidance and links to further resources to support implementation of changes to General Medical Services (GMS) contractual arrangements that will apply in England in 2020/21.
Further implementation guidance will be added to this webpage before 1 April 2020. See the 2019/20 guidance here.
NHS England Enhanced Service Specifications
These enhanced service specifications outline more specialised services and those additional services provided by all General Medical Services (GMS) practices.
- Enhanced Service Specification Shingles (catch-up) vaccination programme 2020/21 NHS England
- Directed Enhanced Service Specification Seasonal influenza and pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccination programme 2020/21
- Enhanced Service Specification Pertussis (pregnant women) vaccination programme 2020/21 NHS England
- Enhanced Service Specification Meningococcal freshers vaccination programme 2020/21 NHS England
- Enhanced Service Specification Childhood seasonal influenza vaccination programme 2020/21
Update to the GP contract deal: 2020/21-2023/24
NHS England and NHS Improvement and the BMA have agreed and jointly published an “Update to the GP contract agreement 2020/21 to 2023/24”. This agreement updates and enhances the existing five-year GP contract deal: Investment and Evolution.
The main features of the agreement include:
- Major enhancements to the Additional Roles Reimbursement Scheme to help secure 26,000 additional staff
- A raft of measures to aid GP recruitment and retention to help deliver 6000 more doctors working in primary care
- Improvements in access for patients: More people working in general practice will help achieve 50 million more appointments in general practice
- Further improvements to the Quality and Outcomes Framework
- Reforms to vaccinations and immunisations payment arrangements to improve vaccination coverage
- A new universal 6-8 week post-natal check for new mothers
- Three new services in 20/21: Structured Medication Review and Medicines Optimisation, Enhanced Health in Care Homes and Supporting Early Cancer Diagnosis service.
- New incentives under the Investment and Impact Fund to increase uptake of learning disability health checks, seasonal flu jabs, social prescribing referrals, and improve specific aspects of prescribing.
Update to the GP contract agreement: 2020/21-2023/24: Financial implications
This letter provides further details of the financial implications of the Update to the GP contract agreement: 2020/21-2023/24 including:
- additional funding allocations
- funding the costs of other contract increases
- enhancements to the Additional Roles Reimbursement Scheme.
Statement of Financial Entitlements and Directed Enhanced Services Directions
Legislation underpinning the GP Contract
A number of legal documents, published by the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC), formally set out the detail of the GP contract.
The Statement of Financial Entitlements (SFE) sets out payment conditions for General Medical Services contractors, which are replicated by commissioners for local Primary Medical Services (PMS) and Alternative Provider Medical Services (APMS) contractors. The SFE (Amendment 2) Directions 2020 sets out updated terms from 1 April 2020.
The Primary Medical Services (Directed Enhanced Services) Directions 2020 sets out the requirements for contractors choosing to provide Directed Enhanced Services, including the Primary Care Network DES, from 1 April 2020.
The NHS (GMS Contracts) Regulations, NHS (PMS Agreements) Regulations and Alternative Provider Medical Services (APMS) Directions set out the most recent contractual amendments for GMS, PMS and APMS contractors from 1 April 2020.
In addition the NHS (Amendments Relating to the Provision of Primary Care Services During a Pandemic etc) Regulations 2020 give NHS England the power, with the agreement of the Secretary of State, to temporarily suspend certain parts of the GP contract to assist in management of the Covid-19 outbreak. Details of any contract suspension are on our COVID-19 update for general practice page.
General Medical Services (GMS) Ready Reckoner
This ready reckoner has been produced by NHS England and NHS Improvement in partnership with the BMA General Practitioners Committee (GPC) and is intended to provide an indication of the changes in income streams that may affect a GMS practice and Primary Care Network (PCN) from 1 April 2020. Figures are indicative and do not provide any guarantee of income.
Primary Care Networks additional roles reimbursement scheme: Update to Commissioners
- Primary Care Networks additional roles reimbursement scheme: Update to Commissioners: Letter from Ed Waller
General Medical Services Quality and Outcomes Framework
Two new QOF Quality improvement modules will be introduced in 2020/21. The modules will focus on improving care of people with a learning disability and supporting early cancer diagnosis. These modules have been developed by the RCGP in collaboration with NICE and the Health Foundation.
- Quality Improvement module document: improving care of people with a learning disabilities
- Quality Improvement module document: supporting early cancer diagnosis
- QOF Quality Improvement case studies
Further guidance on the full QOF changes for 2020/21 will be published soon.
For any further queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover note for GPs and Commissioners: Revised Network Contract DES 2020/21
- Network Contract Directed Enhanced Service (DES) Contract Specification 2020/21 – PCN Entitlements and Requirements
- Network Contract Directed Enhanced Service (DES) Guidance 2020/21
- Network Contract Directed Enhanced Service (DES) Participation Form 2020/21
- Network Contract Directed Enhanced Service (DES) Additional Roles Reimbursement Scheme Claim Form 2020/21
- PCN Workforce Planning Template 2020/21
- Network Contract Directed Enhanced Service (DES) Frequently Asked Questions 2020/21
- Network Contract Directed Enhanced Service (DES) Early Cancer Diagnosis Guidance
- Framework for Enhanced Health in Care Homes
- Mandatory Network Agreement
- Network Agreement Schedules
- Template Data Sharing Agreement
- Template Data Processing Agreement
- The Network Contract DES and VAT Information Note