This page sets out guidance and links to further resources to support implementation of changes to General Medical Services (GMS) contractual arrangements that will apply in England in 2020/21.
Further implementation guidance will be added to this webpage before 1 April 2020. See the 2019/20 guidance here.
Update to the GP contract deal: 2020/21-2023/24
NHS England and NHS Improvement and the BMA have agreed and jointly published an “Update to the GP contract agreement 2020/21 to 2023/24”. This agreement updates and enhances the existing five-year GP contract deal: Investment and Evolution.
The main features of the agreement include:
- Major enhancements to the Additional Roles Reimbursement Scheme to help secure 26,000 additional staff
- A raft of measures to aid GP recruitment and retention to help deliver 6000 more doctors working in primary care
- Improvements in access for patients: More people working in general practice will help achieve 50 million more appointments in general practice
- Further improvements to the Quality and Outcomes Framework
- Reforms to vaccinations and immunisations payment arrangements to improve vaccination coverage
- A new universal 6-8 week post-natal check for new mothers
- Three new services in 20/21: Structured Medication Review and Medicines Optimisation, Enhanced Health in Care Homes and Supporting Early Cancer Diagnosis service.
- New incentives under the Investment and Impact Fund to increase uptake of learning disability health checks, seasonal flu jabs, social prescribing referrals, and improve specific aspects of prescribing.
General Medical Services Quality and Outcomes Framework
Two new QOF Quality improvement modules will be introduced in 2020/21. The modules will focus on improving care of people with a learning disability and supporting early cancer diagnosis. These modules have been developed by the RCGP in collaboration with NICE and the Health Foundation.
- Quality Improvement module document: improving care of people with a learning disabilities
- Quality Improvement module document: supporting early cancer diagnosis
- QOF Quality Improvement case studies
Further guidance on the full QOF changes for 2020/21 will be published soon.
For any further queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org