Indicative Health Visitor Collection (IHVC)
Background to the collection
The Indicative Health Visitor Collection (IHVC) was set up to support the government’s commitment to increase the number of Health Visitors by 4,200 FTE to 12,292 FTE by March 2015, from a baseline of 8,092 FTE in 2010.
In order to understand progress against this commitment, two data collections have been established to monitor Health Visitor workforce data:
- The Minimum Data Set (HV MDS) is the official collection of Health Visitor workforce data. The HV MDS is published by the Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC) and it is the official source of Health Visitor workforce data
- HV MDS data undergoes a three-month validation and quality assurance process before publication
- In parallel, the Indicative Health Visitor Collection has been collected on a monthly basis since April 2014 to provide a more real-time view of the Health Visitor workforce
- IHVC data is published within the month of data being submitted by NHS Providers to NHS England regional teams
- The IHVC should be taken as indicative of the current Health Visitor workforce
- The IHVC is therefore management information only, and the HV MDS remains the official data set
Data for the IHVC will be published by NHS England on a monthly basis until October 2015, when commissioning responsibilities transfer to Local Authorities.
- November 2014 data – 9th January 2015
- December 2014 data (and April – October data) – 23rd January 2015
- January 2015 data – 19th February 2015
- February 2015 data – 19th March 2015
- March 2015 data- 23rd April 2015
- April 2015 data – 22nd May 2015
- May 2015 data – 18th June 2015
- June 2015 data – 23rd July 2015
- July 2015 data – 21st August 2015
- August 2015 data – 17th September 2015
- September 2015 data – 23rd October 2015
September 2015 data
The monthly series of IHVC data beginning from April 2014 is available on the Historical data page.
You can obtain further details about the management information published in this section, or send in your comments, by emailing the team at the address below.